[SEL] American Beauty

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 10:15:09 PST 2010

On 16 November 2010 15:39, Best, George <George_Best at adp.com> wrote:
> Was in a second hand store this weekend and bought an American Beauty 300w soldering iron for $3.  Unfortunately it was missing the tip, but when I plugged it in to test it, it did heat up.  You can still buy new American Beauty soldering irons and replacement tips, but the new replacement tip for the 300w one is around $50 plus shipping.  I'm thinking of just taking a piece of 7/8" C100 copper rod and making my own tip.  I know a pure copper tip won't last as long, but should still work.
>
> Anyone on the list have one of these big soldering irons?  Also any comments on just using some C100 copper to make a tip?
>
> George

We have some thermostatically controlled irons, 150W and 200W, but the
most useful one is the old-fashioned solid copper bit type that we
bought for $3 in a surplus store in Phoenix AZ. Yes it needs a gas
toprch to heat it up, but is has a far bigger heat reserve than the
electrical ones.

As far as copper bits go, almost any copper grade would do, but bear
in mind that you will always get tip erosion from the solder, which is
why modern ones are plated.

Had to get up on our flat roof the other day to plug some holes in the
lead sheeting left by the builders, the electrical irons worked OK as
it was only 1.8mm (0.071") thick lead. Had it been much thicker then
the solid copper iron would have been called into play.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com