[SEL] Economy 1 HP fuel mixer needed

DMcDonald jswords at mcn.net
Mon Nov 8 18:22:26 PST 2010

Dear Dave, Keith and all

I went back to the auction bill and there was no mention about the
engines were used or
new.  So I ended up paying about 6 times the new price.  Darn!  Next
time I will ask more
questions before I buy. :)

Good news - A number of collectors have contacted me about the fuel
mixer and in the end
a great fellow from Oregon had some extra 3/4 inch Lunks and he traded
me for my
1 inch.  Turns out he collects Stovers and I had (not sure where I
picked it up) a Stover
brass tag for a 18 hp.  Thought he might find a use and told him I would
send it with
the 1" Lunk - he did not have a 18 hp but had a friend that did, so the
tag will
get a home.  :)

He then talked me through some of the other things I would need or take
care of
one was a check value.  He said he would include a check value with the
3/4 lunk.

Looks like I will have the gas taken care of soon.  Now to start working
on the electrical.
No problem getting a small 12 volt gel battery, looking now at coils.
Might be fun
to make one.  Then to make a nice battery box.  Has anyone seen an very
good image
of the labels on the old battery boxes??

I will send a private email to Keith to get the books.  Sounds like good
information.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I sure enjoy reading the emails from this list - even when they are
about engines!  :)

Last - Dave are you the one that collects Magtags?

later and thanks again for all the help
david

Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2010 19:20:40 -0500 From: David Rotigel
<rotigel at me.com> Subject: Re: [SEL] Economy 1 HP fuel mixer needed To:
The SEL email discussion list <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
for the delay, but I had trouble locating the Karch book titled "SPARTA"
ECONOMY. From what Glenn writes I have gleaned the following: 1.) Your
engine is indeed a 1 HP. 2.) It was built after Hercules bought the
Holm's Machine Manufacturing Co. (in 1913) but likely manufactured in
Sparta Mich. BEFORE all the Holm's equipment was moved to Evansville IN.
3.) The model of your engine is CX 4.) The engine sold new for $28.95.
(I sure hope that someone didn't take advantage of you for buying a
"used" engine!) 5.) A total of about 10,000 model CX engines were built
in 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 HP 6.) In late 1913 the 1 HP engine was rerated
to 1 1/2 HP. (No changes were made in the bore, stroke or RPM.) 7.) I
pretty sure that your engine had a Lunkenheimer "Generator" on it and
not a "J" mixer. (Yes Sparta called it a "generator" not a "mixer." It's
kinda like calling a DEMOCRAT a ........ Oh, never mind!) Karch has many
more details about the Sparta Economy engines in his book. You should
buy a copy. Dave PS, You have a real piece of history there. Take good
care of it! PPS, Good luck finding the "generator" you need! PPPS, Until
you find a 3/4" Lunk you could use a 3/4 male to 1" female adapter. On

--
David McDonald                  Collector of Japanese Swords and Old Iron
PO Box 265                      WEB page - http://www.montanairon.com
Sidney MT  59270                email - jswords at mcn.net
406-482-3243  evenings          I do tsukamaki (wrapping of sword hilts)

Owner of White IH Cub&  Super A Farmall, IH 100&  130, 140, AC G
McD type M, Monitor, Frost King and other stationary engines.