[SEL] PVC air lines

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Nov 1 11:18:39 PDT 2010

At 06:00 PM 01/11/2010, you wrote:
>Message: 1
>Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 13:17:28 -0400
>From: Paul + Colleen Gray <pcgray at zoominternet.net>
>Subject: [SEL] PVC air lines
>To: sel at lists.stationary-engine.com
>
>Your mileage may vary....
>http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html
>There's a thread on it Home Shop Machinist...
>http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?p=126306
>
>Paul Gray

Hi Paul,
         Interesting links but I think many people may be getting confused
between PVC and CPVC (which Mark mentioned).

         The OHASA reports only mentioned PVC. (Polyvinylchloride) which is
a hard, rather brittle thermoplastic commonly used for water pipes, soil
vent pipes (sewage) and uses requiring  resistance to certain chemicals
(only some chemicals - NOT solvents). In past years this was called uPVC -
unplasticised Polyvinylchloride - today the "u" seems to have been dropped.

         I do not have much experience with CPVC (Chlorinated
Polyvinylchloride) but it is a modified PVC and more flexible than and
"tougher" than PVC.  This is what Mark recommended  - maybe he could give
us some more info on it. From a bit of "Googling" it does appear to be a
better choice than PVC but nowhere as good as PEX.

         I know very little about PEX (I've been out of plastics since
1986) but reading about it on the net it seems to be a great product/system
and very easy to use.

         Anyway, enough plastic talk - my air line is copper and I'm very
happy with it :-)

         Interesting to see a familiar face halfway down the page on that
Home Shop Machinist link - Hi  Orrin, how're you keeping :-)

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>