[SEL] 8hp Blackstone/cast engine plate

Rupert rwenig2 at xplornet.com
Wed May 26 14:01:49 PDT 2010

Hello Jerry,
	Making sodium silicate/sand cores is relatively a simile process once a
core box has been made. Each core is different so how the core is made
varies.
	The sand I use for cores is fairly coarse (about 80 grit size). There
shouldn't be many fines as the sand needs to be porous for good venting.
The sodium silicate is formulated special for foundry use. The SS I use
is "Carsil 310" manufactured by Foresco. The additives help reduce the
strength of the sodium silicate and make it solvable in water. Finer
grit sands can be substituted to get a smoother finish but great
attention must be given to venting.
	It's been awhile since I actually measure the quantities. I add enough
SS (Carsil 310) to the sand and mix well to get a very stiff cookie
dough texture. I fill the mold with the pattern in place with the
mixture and pack it only hand tight making sure there are no voids i the
sand. The pattern has to be placed taking note of the draft angles as
for normal sand casting rules. The mold can be left sitting on the bench
to absorb CO2 from the air or a shot of compressed CO2 can be injected
into the mold as this point. The amount of injected CO2 depends on the
size of the mold. An example, I recently made a core for the standard on
a 3/4" bore vertical steam engine. That took about a 15 second shot of
CO2 at 3-5 psi to set the sand/sodium silicate mix.
	The core can be used in a normal sand (green sand or petrobond) mold at
this point to make a casting. I like to warm my cores at 250°F to make
sure there is no moisture in the core prior to inserting the core in the
mold.
	The next step is fill the mold with the metal of your choice, let sit
until the metal has had time to harden. Sometimes it is better to let
the metal cool in the sand mold before shaking it out. Shake out the
casting and hopefuly you can admire a good casting ready for machining.
	In the case of the plaques or engine plate: I have poured plaques using
only petrobond sand and green sand with good results. I think I would be
inclined to use a petrobond molding sand for a one of plaque possibly
using a thin layer of facing sand of finer grit size next to the pattern.
	Is this what you are looking for?

Rupert

--

yvt