[SEL] 8hp Blackstone/cast engine plate

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue May 25 10:09:50 PDT 2010

At 06:00 PM 25/05/2010, you wrote:
>Message: 7
>Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 18:13:09 -0700
>From: <jbcast at charter.net>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] 8hp Blackstone/cast engine plate
><snip>
>

> >          The guy who showed <snip>

>Jerry, that's probably sodium slicate, also know as water glass, the gas
>would be CO2. I've read about it but haven't used i yet, your post makes
>me want to try it.
>J.B. Castagnos
>Belle Rose, LA (90 miles north of the oil)

Hi JB,
         I hope you do try it and let the rest of us know how it's done.
The whole process looked so simple - once you had the master and the right
equipment! They were making split moulds to be able to remove the casting
but I did not pay too much attention to how they did this. Their moulds
were re-useable unlike the iron founders I use who break the mould off the
casting - at least for "one-off" jobs like we have made.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>