[SEL] Fairbanks Morse RR Motorcar Engine

Ralph Holt rehot at msn.com
Sat May 22 12:28:38 PDT 2010

Hello Elden,

Yes, I plan on doing as you said after cleaning the piston and rings up, just light honing of the cylinder and put it back together.

The second ring is stuck tight, hopefully I can get it freed up without breaking it.

The rebabitting of the rod is confusing to me on this engine because it has what is very much like automotive inserts of brass that will come out of the rod and they are held in place to keep them from spinning via pins.

The manual calls them a rod bushing (crank end) and says number per car (1.) Part number: MR419659 It also has shims that can be added or removed to adjust the fit on the crank.

The rod cap has a lot of lubrication holes in it and also so does the insert (bushing.)

Yes, the exhaust just dumps out of the baffle thing at the port on the bottom of the engine on this one. The manual shows an optional flex pipe that can be put on instead then the exhaust can be routed out the side of the car, no muffler. I guess that option is a little better than the way it is now.

At least I think I should be able to make some new friends with the Maytag folks. :)

Thank you for your input.

Ralph