[SEL] Wow ! Quite a find.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sat May 22 10:50:35 PDT 2010

At 06:00 PM 22/05/2010, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 14:52:06 -0700
>From: Rob Skinner <rob at rustyiron.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] Wow ! Quite a find.
>To: The SEL email discussion list <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
>
>On May 21, 2010, at 10:11 AM, Jerry Evans wrote:
> > There are many guys on this list far more clued up than me on the
> > subject - how about a few explanations - it's not "Off Topic" if the
> > whole
> > thing was powered by an internal combustion engine :-)
>

>Ken is the REAL expert.  I've played with one, and have a little hands-
>on experience.  I've described the function on my web page,
>http://engines.rustyiron.com/stable/greatwesternrollermill.html
>     There are some other pictures of the unit in operation at,
> http://engines.rustyiron.com/losalamitos06
>
>We've tried using the roller mill for corn, but it didn't work out
>well.  The flour would cake onto the rollers, making them bigger and
>bigger until everything jammed up and the belts would slip.
>
>Rob

Hi Rob,
         Yes, we know that Ken is the expert but your page is really great
- thanks for going to the trouble. I learnt a lot from it and it answered a
lot of questions for me.

         I always wondered about the "fine stuff" (flour). That was/is more
profitable than the "coarse stuff" (hog feed). How do you increase the
amount of profitable flour through a "roller mill" - easy answer (from your
page) - put it through the mill again and again until the percentage of
"fines" has reached an acceptable level. So simple - why did I not realise
that before?

         The original mill house you describe is multi level (as was the
one I originally posted about) and now I understand why they were built
this way. Take raw grain to the top and reap the profits at the bottom!
         Thanks mate.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>