[SEL] Wow ! Quite a find.

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Fri May 21 10:58:00 PDT 2010

Actually, I was hoping it would be Rick Rowlands saying he had a rolling mill.

The grain machinery is cool though...there are a couple working antique
flour mills near here, one is yuppie commercial with a water wheel,
the other is a state park with a fairly big steam engine.

Dave Merchant

At 01:11 PM 5/21/2010, Jerry Evans wrote:
>At 06:00 PM 21/05/2010, you wrote:
>
> >Message: 8
> >Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:56:23 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: Ron Frost <ron217_2000 at yahoo.com>
> >Subject: Re: [SEL] Wow ! Quite a find.
> >To: The SEL email discussion list <sel at lists.stationary-engine.com>
> >
> >Jerry, At the risk of sounding stupid, What is a roller mill's product?
>

>Hi Ron,
>          No, you do not sound stupid. I'm no expert on those machines
>either but are they not beautiful?
>
>          Basically a Roller Mill crushes and grinds wheat (and other grains
>like corn) to make meal. I'm not too sure if stone or burr mills were then
>used to get a finer meal (flour). The really old water wheel powered mills
>had two counter rotating stone discs (wheels) which ground wheat into a
>very fine smooth meal (flour).
>
>          There are many guys on this list far more clued up than me on the
>subject - how about a few explanations - it's not "Off Topic" if the whole
>thing was powered by an internal combustion engine :-)
>

>Keep the revs up (or down)
>Jerry Evans
>Near Johannesburg in Sunny South Africa.
>Etched Brass Engine Plates made to order:
><www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>

Dave Merchant
kosh at nesys.com
nesys_com at ameritech.net
dmerchant at layerzero.com

http://www.nesys.com
http://www.nesys.org
YouTube: SteamCrane

"I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps
to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards)
and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."
         - Prof. Phil Jones
         - Director, Climatic Research Unit
         - School of Environmental Sciences
         - University of East Anglia