[SEL] e-mail woes. SEL Digest Now O.T.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sat May 15 10:04:05 PDT 2010

>Message: 5
>Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 06:16:43 -0700
>From: Rob Skinner <rob at rustyiron.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] e-mail woes. SEL Digest
><snip>
>
>On May 15, 2010, at 5:13 AM, Jerry Evans wrote:
> >   Would anyone who has digest versions from the 10th May thru 13th
> > May kindly forward them to me (Off List) to <jerrye at cyberserv.co.za>
> > or
>
>Jerry,
>If I didn't have my own domain, I would certainly be using a free
>gmail account from Google.

Hi Rob,
         Thanks for the reply. I do agree and the way things are happening
here at the moment it is a distinct possibility but there are reasons for
using this one. I'm not too sure how things work elsewhere but I have 4
domains, each with full e-mail facilities (POP3 as well as Webmail) and
they are hosted on a server in Cape Town (about 1000 Kms away) (best
hosting company in the country - a German crowd by the name of Hetzner).

         But, due to the distance and as a legacy from the old "dial-up"
days my actual internet connection is done with Cyberserv (a local company
- local call rates et al.) Although that has changed in recent years and I
now have ADSL and can connect from anywhere I am a "sentimental old fool"
and prefer to stay with Cyberserv because I was one of their first
customers way back in about 1991/2. I have also kept the same address
<jerrye at cyberserv.co.za> for all that time and not many people can say that
they have had the same e-mail addy for nearly 20 years.

         In all that time they have given me excellent service and if I
have a problem, I can call the owner of the business - not a "help desk"
anytime day or night and the problem is sorted out immediately.
Unfortunately, in this case they had major problems and it took a few days
to sort out but I'm not prepared to take my business away from them because
of that. Like I said, "I'm a sentimental old fool!!" but that's the way I am.

For reasons of convenience all mail addresses on my domains are set up as
"aliases" and simply redirect mail to my "cyberserv" address because that's
who I connect to the Internet with. I do not have to check mail in
different places. In this case it would have been quite a simple matter to
stop them forwarding to cyberserv and check them on the Cape town server
but I've been pretty busy this week and also never thought the problem
would take so long to resolve.

Sorry about the long "Off Topic" explanation but that's just who I am :-)

Keep well,

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>