[SEL] Ruston & Hornsby 1ZHR Running

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sun May 9 11:37:06 PDT 2010

Hi Peter,
         From your post and going to the links, I spent a good 5 hours or
so (that I could ill afford) this morning reading about your engine. I
somehow managed to get onto the English forum where you have an almost "day
to day running commentary" on your work on the engine (last updated this
morning!!). (Why not post the link to our lists also - it will really be
enjoyed). Even some pics taken quite a few years ago by Arnie on one of his
(yet to be completed) webpage series of Yankee trips England (sorry Arnie,
I just could not resist that comment).)

         All I can say is "Wow, well done!" That engine is looking good and
the trouble you have gone to is a credit to your workmanship and attention
to detail. The "electrics" are also a credit to your knowledge in that field.

         I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the "trials and tribulations"
that you have been through on this restoration.

         Apart from really enjoying reading about your work, my interest
also stems from the fact that my brother (who is NOT AN ENGINE COLLECTOR)
also owns one of these engines. Information from Ray: "Ruston 1HR 247588,
rated 5.5hp @ 550rpm, was sold to agents Hubert Davies & Co. Ltd, London -
and was despatched to Port Elizabeth on 9.7.1947" This engine is not
identical to yours (yours having a "ZHR" designation and this one just
being an "HR" - many differences).

         There is a story and explanation to this. I will try to be as
brief as possible (very difficult for me).

         Since I started in this hobby (madness ??) in about 1994/5 my
elder "bro" has taken a great interest (his background is the same as
mine). Well, perchance, about 2 years back he came across this engine and
bought it (great pangs of jealousy from me and other collectors)! A
"Wolseley WD9" would have satisfied his "need". He got this one at a
bargain price (there are a few missing parts) from someone emigrating to
Aus who was totally disconnected from the "collectors fraternity". It was a
real bargain - scrappie price. Briefly, most local collectors would have
paid many more "bucks" for this engine. (We have very few size 1 Ruston"
engines in South Africa).

         I's actually "criminal" all he wanted was something that went
"Boof-boof" (like I said, a Wolseley WD would have been fine and satisfied
his craving) yet he found this very desirable engine at a bargain price.

         Anyway, I know my "bro" his interests are shortlived (but it's
been 2 years so far)and the engine is still as found. No progress towards
getting it going or restoration. At some time in the future he WILL realise
that he is not interested in the engine (or his interest has waned)- that's
when it will become MINE !!!!

         Currently he has a growing interest in "Stirling" engines (and I'm
doing my best to nurture and encourage that interest :-)) - and get his
mind off Ruston horizontal diesels. It will happen !!!!!!!!!!!!

         There is a lot more to the story but I promised to try and be
brief. :-(.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>

P.S. I know that family is important but engines like this are "More
Important" :-). I'm not trying to "steal" it (as other brothers on these
lists may do - no names will be mentioned). I'm just waiting for his
interest to "wane sufficiently" :-)

P.P.S.  I have not forwarded him all the e-mails from other collectors
begging to buy the engine. He runs his own business and, it's best not to
disturb him and take his mind off his business.(Silence is a virtue, et al.).

P.P.S. - Hi Steve and Mike - I luv ya both!