[SEL] The McVickerish Engine

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Tue Mar 23 10:28:57 PDT 2010

Larry,

Interesting experiment.

I'd never really thought about engines governing against compression that the expanding of the compressed air does return some of the energy used to compress it so it is not a total loss.

Although I'm not sure your experiment is a good comparison between governing against compression and the common method of holding the exhaust valve open.  If your compression release is a much smaller opening that that provided by an open exhaust valve, then I wouldn't have the same effect.

Your experiment did show that keeping the valves closed does take longer for the engine to come to a complete stop.

George