[SEL] The McVickerish Engine

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Mon Mar 22 10:00:35 PDT 2010

Curt:

Hmmmm ...... good point ...... but

I can't put the ports at the side because the wrist pin will interfere with the lower port and add a bit more volume.  Whether or not that makes a difference is a good question.

On top will work, but it will interfere with the oiler and the water outlet, which is at the front and maybe in the head itself if there's room in there for drilled water passages.

There may be an advantage in having the valve actuator piston at the bottom.  Lubrication.  Some cylinder oil will necessarily be included in the stream of combustion gas into the valve cylinder and it would be good for lubrication.  If it ends up accumulating there and messes with it's operation, I could just drill a very small hole in the valve cylinder at the end of the stroke so the piston will uncover it when it bottoms-out and blows out any junk that may be there.

It gives me something to think about. ........ ........ well, back to the shop for some more FUN.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand