[SEL] The McVickerish Engine

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Sat Mar 20 06:27:03 PDT 2010

Jim:

I took a look on YouTube and found the following:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mcvicker+engine&search_type=&aq=f

There are three videos of McVicker Automatic engines.  It looks like there is a later(?) model McVicker engine in one of the videos that does have an exhaust cam (eccentric?).  It's operating at crankshaft speed and the pushrod is moved out of the way of the valve stem during the "miss" interval.  I assume the mechanism that moves the pushrod out of the way is the overpressure cylinder.  That's another interesting way of getting rid of gears but not as true to the original patent.

I suppose there were some problems with the full pneumatic operation so they went to the gearless pushrod version.  Please let me know if this is correct.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand