[SEL] The McVickerish Engine

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Fri Mar 19 14:31:50 PDT 2010

Gang:

In case you're interested, I've started another engine project.

This time, I saw Steve Royster's McVicker engine thread and casually asked him for some information.  Steve was good enough to send me a copy of the original 1901 patent and I've decided to build an engine that runs on the same principle.

BTW, the McVicker is a four-cycle Otto-cycle engine but it has no gears or cams.  The exhaust valve is operated by overpressure that is ported to a small cylinder which operates the exhaust valve at the end of the power stroke.

It's hit and miss in operation and Steve says that his McVicker sounds really wierd when it's "coasting" because the valves remain closed during the "coasting" period.  I guess the sound is sorta like, "BANG, WHOOSH, SUCK, SQUEEZE, EXPAND, SQUEEZE, EXPAND, SQUEEZE, EXPAND, SQUEEZE, BANG, WHOOSH, etc".

It's gonna be interesting to see how it runs.  While doing the design of The McVickerish Engine, I've come to the conclusion that it can run either direction with, at most, a tweak of the ignition timing.  It may be reversible by advancing the spark to the point the engine backfires and starts in the other direction.  I don't think, though, I'd want to do that at full power.

If you wanna have a look, go here:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/McVickerish/McVickerish.Html

Take care - Elden (starting to have fun)
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand