[SEL] W.H.E.A.T. swapmeet

Best, George George_Best at adp.com
Mon Mar 15 10:30:45 PDT 2010

I went to the WHEAT swap meet that was held in Turlock CA this weekend.

It had been a few years since I've attended that swap meet, mostly because it is a 700 mile drive each way for me, plus it is a one day parking lot swap meet that wasn't all that big in the past.

We got there Saturday afternoon for people setting up early and there was a fair amount of vendors setup and about the size that I remembered the swap meet as being.  Unfortunately there was also a pretty good wind that really had a chilling effect on you.  Went out that evening for dinner with a group of 8 collectors and had a nice visit.

Sunday morning (official day of swap meet) we were out there before daylight and it had grown pretty good in size.  Even mid morning there were vendors pulling in and setting up.  Since we had a 700 mile return drive and I had to be a work this morning we had to leave by 11am.  Next time I think I'll take a vacation day on Monday so we can stay into the afternoon and drive partway home that evening as there were a couple rows of late arriving  vendors that I didn't even get to go down.

It was definitely the biggest WHEAT swap meet I've seen and was really a good one with lots of goodies to buy if you had the money.

Sunday morning I walked past a trailer that had a real nice 6' blade for a 3pt hitch.  I've been looking locally for a rear blade for my tractor to make maintaining my gravel driveway easier.  Bad part was we had driven my Chevy HHR to the swap meet rather than my pickup.  The rear blade was too good of a deal to pass up and after borrowing a tape measure I decided that if we took the blade off the 3pt frame we could angle it and it would just fit inside the HHR!

Took a couple packing attempts to get the 3pt blade inside the HHR along with our other purchases, plus all my W.A.I.T. booth stuff I'd brought along.  Talk about loading a lot of stuff in that little HHR!  Bet no other HHR owner has hauled a 3pt implement inside the cargo area!

Had a great weekend, talked to hobby friends, bought a few things, plus the weather was nice and sunny on Sunday with no wind.  Life is good.

George