[SEL] Good stuff happens / Witte CD serial no.

Arnie Fero fero_ah at city-net.com
Fri Mar 12 13:34:10 PST 2010

Holy crap Jerry!!  I think you scored BIG TIME with that paper treasure trove!!

To help you with your quest of linking the engine to the paper via the serial
number, may I suggest two other locations that you did not mention.
On the Lorenz engines the S/N is stamped on the big end caps and crank shaft throws
and also on the top surface of the piston.  You might give those spots a look on
your Witte.

GOOD LUCK!!  BTW, if you continue to be unsuccessful in finding the actual S/N on
your engine, I would opt for the "engine rarity" argument and select the S/N from
the paperwork that you have.  As you say, there can't be many of 'em, and if the
engine doesn't have a number, who's to say that you're wrong?  Personally, I think
you've just reunited the engine with it's paperwork.

Do you have a tag design or should folks elsewhere be looking for a Witte CD engine
to take a photo of the tag?

There seem to be some interesting threads on the web in response to "Witte CD diesel".
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29849
http://www.petternut.co.uk/Witte%20CD.jpg
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=station&th=2039
http://www.www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMJXSzj2LBk

It appears that the Witte is still being used in the oil fields and that parts are
available.  Perhaps contact a distributer with the "Where's the S/N question?"

See ya,  Arnie