[SEL] gas tank help

Elden edurand at mchsi.com
Thu Jun 17 16:18:37 PDT 2010

Tom:

You can dissolve a lot of that stuff (and rust and your eyes
and skin) by using sodium hydroxide, commonly known as lye
or caustic soda.

It can be found in the detergent section of some stores
under the brand name "Red Devil".  You can also get it at a
chemical supply house.

Use caution with this stuff.  It will burn your skin
something fierce if you get any of it on you.

It is exothermic.  In other words, when you mix the dry
chemical with water, it will get HOT and boil until the
reaction with the water is complete.

What I've done is to (outside!!!!) put the tank on the
ground and, while it is still dry of water, pour in a
generous amount of the caustic soda.  Then, with a hose,
VERY CAREFULLY fill the tank (be ready to jump back if it
starts spewing) about half full and then just let it sit for
a day or two, giving it a careful slosh once in a while.

The caustic soda will go after rust and most petroleum
products like grease and paint but will not attack the clean
metal after the rust is gone so you can just let it sit for
a while.

Remember hot dip tanks at radiator shops and engine
rebuilders' places.  They used caustic soda.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand