[SEL] O.T. Aerial photo of my home.

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Wed Jun 16 13:27:53 PDT 2010

At 06:00 PM 16/06/2010, you wrote:
><snip>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] O.T. Aerial photo of my home.
><nuther snip>

>I can answer that.
>My bro was engineering manager of Haggy Rand. The mine cable makers in
>Joburg. When the govt changed and the Rand dropped to such a low value, he,
>having just retired, was caught in an economic trap. As such, if he leaves
>there, he will be a pauper, having had the value of his money and
>possessions reduced to just about zero in the rest of the western world..
>Reg & Marg Ingold

<nuther snip>

>From: "Kangas, James G." <james.kangas at timken.com>
><yet anuther snip> (I can actually spell)
>
>Jerry,
>       Things always sound so bad there, why don't you pack up and move to a
>more civilized place?
>   Jim K.

Hi James (and Reg),

         Reg has just answered your question better than I could have ever
hoped to do. He is 100% accurate in his description of our situation.

         I never chose to be born into this situation but we used to have a
tremendous country (and life), we were economically viable and self
sufficient, we had great industries and were right up there at the top as
far as "technology" was concerned. We had excellent hospitals, schools and
universities, we had an  excellent infrastructure (roads, railways,
industry and government) until the rest of the western world decided that
"Politically Correct" was the way to go. They chose to forget that the
people who built this country (and many other African countries) were
descended from great western nations (as was your country). They chose to
be seen as "humanitarians" and "Politically Correct" arseholes and dropped
us in the "brown stuff".

         This is an "engine list" so I think it's better that I stop here.
(I could go on for pages).

         Suffice to say that we make the most of a bad situation because
that is the only choice that we have. Thank goodness that we can appreciate
something like collecting old engines and corresponding with great people
worldwide with similar interests.

         Reg was one of the first members of this list to welcome me as a
new member and I have always respected his knowledge and wisdom (and even
his eccentricities). Reg has a brother who, as he mentioned, is caught in
the same trap as I am (and lives less than 20 Km's. from me). Thanks Reg,
you are a great mate.

         Yes, I probably do have a "chip on my shoulder" but it is
definitely not aimed at any of the many (and great) people I have met on
these lists,

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>