[SEL] Throttled vs hit&miss sound

Patrick Livingstone patrick.livingstone at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 17:42:07 PDT 2010

I have a real soft spot for my big Stover 6hp vertical throttler. It is a
real sweet runner. The real issue is it putting me to sleep at rallies with
its nice even beat.
A big throttler running well is a joy to listen to. The issue with
throttlers is that they are often not running right at rallies and often
sound like a bad hit and miss engine.
Patrick

On 24/7/10 3:00 AM, "Best, George" <George_Best at adp.com> wrote:

> Tom and I both have 18hp Stovers.  Mine is throttle governed and Tom's looks
> to be hit&miss.
>
> While I know most people prefer hit&miss over throttle governed, including
> myself, I do think that in some cases I prefer throttled over hit&miss.
>
> Almost all of my collection is hit&miss but two of my largest engines are
> throttle governed, and I think I actually prefer them that way.
>
> Last month I saw a 22hp Stover hit&miss running and going through its coasting
> cycles and it really didn't do anything for me. I much prefer the nice steady
> beat of my 18hp Stover.
>
> I think that I've acquired a taste for the nice steady beat when it comes to
> larger engines.  Small engines still need to be hit&miss for me.
>
> Anyone else developed a liking for throttle governed?
>
> George

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html