[SEL] other hobbies

Germoamer at aol.com Germoamer at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 12:11:16 PDT 2010

In a message dated 7/21/2010 12:41:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
obise at moscow.com writes:

This is  just a SWAG, but I thought the rotation was caused by the vine,
sunflower,  or whatever was following the sun.

Orrin,

I have no idea what makes the vine wrap in a clockwise direction, only that
 I have never seen one wrapped in a counterclockwise direction from many
years of  looking.  Because of this I made an assumption that it was perhaps
based on  something to do with the earths rotation much the same as water
draining out of  a tub does. Of course assumptions can often lead to other
stuff!  My  91 year old neighbor was the first to make me think about the
clockwise wrapping  when he asked me if I had any idea how come this was.  I had
never taken  the time to stop and think about it or realize everyone I saw
wrapped the same  way.  So, from then on I took the time to really look at
stuff.

I too live in Virginia, central Virginia near Lynchburg.  And Dave is
right, most of the vines found on twisted sticks in our area are  honeysuckle
vines. Lots of times if I find a twisted stick and it is bent too  much to
make a walking stick, I will tie it on a piece of slotted angle and  leave it
dry for 6 months to a year. See photo of one drying now.

_http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/bent%20stick.jpg_
(http://www.oldengine.org/members/schmutz/images/bent%20stick.jpg)

Tom  Schmutz
Concord, Va.