[SEL] Ruston 1ZHR

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:58:30 PDT 2010

On 20 July 2010 15:15,  <edurand at mchsi.com> wrote:
> Peter:
>
> Methinks youmay have to revisit the cooling system for the Ruston.  If you really load it up, it will surely top the boiling point of the coolant.
>
> Maybe you could insert an auto heater into the line and have a thermostat turn on the fan when the temp gets to 90C or so.
>
> Am I missing something here?  :-)
>
> Take care - Elden

Hi Elden:

Probably teaching you how to suck eggs, but here goes:

It's all to do with the latent heat of evaporation of water, the
higher the temperature, the more water gets evaporated and takes more
heat out.

It takes 1 BTu (British Thermal Unit) to take 1pound of water through
1 degree Fahrenheit.

It takes 970 BTu's to turn that same 1 pound of water into steam.

So it's a thermal balancing act, increased temperature = increased
evaporation = more heat out of the water.

That's the principle that all hopper-cooled and tank-cooled engines work under.

I'd hoped that if I looked at the installation drawings, it would give
me a bit of info on the original cooling setup, but it looks as though
it was a run-to-waste water system from a large header tank.

I'll not be running it at full power, 2kW will achieve my aim of a
reasonable loading, 8.2kW maximum in theory.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes
Email: listerdiesel at gmail.com