[SEL] OT - Lug Nuts

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Jul 20 10:11:19 PDT 2010

At 06:00 PM 20/07/2010, you wrote:
>Message: 5
>Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:26:20 -0500
>From: "Best, George" <George_Best at adp.com>
><snip>
>
>Joe,
>
>Impact wrench is fine for undoing lug nuts and just snugging them up.  But
>you should really use a torque wrench to finish tightening them to make
>sure all are tightened to the same amount.
>
>A little oil or anti-seize isn't a bad idea when installing as it makes
>them easier to get your nuts off at a later date.  (worded for Dave's benefit)
>
>For you present problem, if the impact wrench doesn't have enough power to
>break them loose, your next option is a big breaker bar and socket with a
>pipe to extend the handle for more leverage.
>
>George

Hi George,
         "it makes them easier to get your nuts off at a later date" - I
love it - now to get the "Brandy & Coke" off the monitor !!!

         The thread reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago.
Jacqui, my daughter, is a small girl - just 5' tall and 110 lbs. She had a
male "friend" a few years ago who was what I would politely describe as an
"idiot". I'm sure that you all know them - more muscle than brain although
that's being too generous in his case. Let's rather say "All muscle - no
brain".

         He was a "mechanic" (inverted comma's intentional) and had
opportunity to change the wheels on her car. Well a few weeks later she had
a puncture - fortunately at home. No problem, get the (also CP) impact
wrench out and start removing the nuts - darn, not a budge - turn up the
pressure on the compressor - still nothing - wrench at maximum !!

         O.K. try the wheel spanner and then a good long offset ring
spanner and try again - still not a budge (Hey, I'm no weakling).

         I eventually loosened each nut by placing a 6' pipe over the ring
spanner for leverage and even then it needed a lot of pressure and "bouncing"!

         How the hell this arsehole (Oops, sorry, I mean idiot) thought
that Jacqui would ever get the wheel nuts loose if she had a puncture while
travelling I do not know. (It's not a good idea for a single woman to be
stuck on the side of the road in South Africa).

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>