[SEL] Ruston 1ZHR

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 01:26:26 PDT 2010

We've progressed a bit since Nuenen, with the Ruston now generating
electrical power and charging its own battery set.

We had the control cabinet up and wired in this week, and apart from a
tweak to the output voltage and the addition of a 2-rate charge
arrangement, it is all finished.

The next job will be to make a 3-axle drawbar trailer, rear section to
carry the engine and front section will be a small motor-home type
section with beds, cooking and shower/toilet. That is at the very
early stages, but we already have most of the running gear on the
floor in the workshop. Body length 7metres or about 23feet if we go to
the maximum allowed size, excluding the drawbar and coupling.

We had a run yesterday with the revised cooling tank and the engine
running 1.5kW load:

http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics217.jpg
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics219.jpg
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics215.jpg
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics213.jpg
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics212.jpg

New fuel filter:
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics199.jpg

Recalibrating one of the meters from 50A down to 30A by making a new shunt:
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics197.jpg
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics198.jpg
(The old shunt is the one on the left-hand side)

New meter set and a duplicate set of the old type, main differences
are the scale lettering, and the 0-25V meter was changed to 0-30V, the
0-50A ammeter was changed to 0-30A:
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics196.JPG

Checking the recalibrated 0-30V meter against a known standard:
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics191.JPG
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics192.JPG
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics193.JPG
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics194.JPG

New anti-splash top for the cooling tank:
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics188.jpg

Running on load for the first time with no control cabinet, load is a
1.5kW radiant heater.
http://www.stationary-engine.net/Forum/Images/Uploaded/RustonPics184.jpg

The whole saga is on the UK Stationary Engine Forum:

http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7229

You will need to register to see the images, and there are over 250 of
them in total.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes