[SEL] The tale of the Buzacott

Patrick Livingstone patrick.livingstone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 19:18:03 PDT 2010

It is nice to have my old 4K Buzacott out of storage. I had forgotten what a
soft spot I have for this engine which I have owned for about 25 years.
It came from a farm (which is no longer there) called 'Friendly Ridge'. We
were there picking up a couple of 100E Prefects that  my father had bought
as spares for our Prefect.
While the loading was taking place I spotted the top of a pair of flywheels
sitting in the middle of a paddock in the grass. I wandered over and found
the Buzacott sitting there. A deal was struck ($50 from memory) and we
loaded the engine and its shearing plant onto the trailer. I found the
original Lewis oiler and the crank handle inside the hopper. The engine was
in excellent condition given it had sat in the weather for many, many years.
The ML magneto was beyond repair so a Wico A was fitted. It has been rallied
for many years but at its last outing the Wico gave up the ghost. I now have
an original ML to go on the engine which means I can refit the gear guard
which would not fit with the Wico.
There is a worn spot in the paint on the top corner of the hopper where my
father & I have placed our hands cranking the engine.
The old girl deserves a little TLC to get it out rallying again.
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/myengines/buzacott/DSCF4001.JPG

Patrick M Livingstone
Leichhardt NSW
http://www.oldengine.org/members/pml/Index.html