[SEL] ring traveler help

Ken Christison christison at coastalnet.com
Mon Jul 5 07:03:48 PDT 2010

Found in google books:

"A ring traveler is a small metal ring or loop used to guide the yarn or
thread in winding it upon the spindle.

Ring travelers are used in all ring spinning, which is done on ring
frames. A ring frame is a spinning machine with vertical spindles, now
extensively used, in which the winding of each thread is governed by
passing through the eye or circle of a small steel loop, called a ring
traveler, one of which revolves around each spindle in an annular way
called the ring. These rings are supported by a horizontal bar, which
moves up and down in such a manner as to give a shape to the cap on the
spindle, that adapts it for use in a shuttle. The ring frame is also
called ring-throstle, ring-throstle-frame, ring- and travelerspinner and
ring spinner.

A ring traveler is made out of one piece of solid steel. It may be
divided into three component parts, for purposes of reference to
varieties in shape and size."

Ken