[SEL] A Repeat of the Tod Engine Project?

Rick Rowlands rowlands1941 at roadrunner.com
Mon Jan 11 19:06:47 PST 2010

Well, I found another big engine to save!

http://news.webshots.com/album/550717992EAkmQg

Donation of the engine is about 90% certain.  18' flywheel, approx. 100 ton total engine weight.  Its a little guy compared to the Tod.  Looking for volunteers for a second "Wrecking Crew".    Engine is located in Steubenville, OH and removal would begin in the spring.  It will be hauled to Youngstown and reassembled behind the Tod Engine, where it will forever be known as the "little engine"!

The engine was built approx. 1902 by Mesta Machine in Homestead, PA to drive a generator to provide the DC power for the Labelle Iron Works, later Wheeling Pittsburgh Steel.  Its probably been out of service for fifty years.  I discovered it in 2006 on a plant tour.  Imagine my surprise when I walked into the building to see a big flywheel looking back at me!

Need help!  Arnie, Dave, can I sign you on as consultants?  We'll get some younger guys to wield the wrenches.

Rick Rowlands
Tod Engine Heritage Park
Youngstown, OH