[SEL] New Years crankup ??

Mike Royster mr at carolina.rr.com
Mon Jan 4 19:04:03 PST 2010

Now wait a minute, I think you guys are too hard on Arnie.  I like to think
of him as my benchmark of "slackness."  Just the other day it occurred to me
that I have had a very original 1.5hp Novo sitting on my workbench for
several years and the last time I saw it run was when my brother Steve
leaned into the spark plug as he was trying to crank it and it lit him up so
good he danced around the shop cussing up a storm.  Then I'll be darned if
he didn't lean into it again on the nest round and I thought he was
reenacting the scene from "The Green Mile" where they lit up the prisoner in
the electric chair.  I still see him dancing and shouting to this day.  Ahh,
memories.  Oh, back to Arnie.  So anyway, last Fri I put it all back
together, took it outside and ran it for the New Years day crank up in
Arnie's honor.  After all, if I can have something in pieces for years and
still beat, "The Yank Returns" or the restoration of the "Fero Compressor"
or the "Lorenz Registry",  then I at least am "not as slack as Arnie."
Isn't that the universal cry of engine men and women everywhere?  Every Sat
morning all over the world we as a group are putting things together and
making them run, and in the back of our minds you are repressing yelling
out, "by Ned, at least I am not as slack as Arnie."  Once again cementing
the common bond we all share, that no matter how bad it gets, when we run
out of money, injure yourself on a cord or cordless drill, or you just put
it off a bit, you always have the luxury of saying, "at least I'm not as
slack as Arnie."  Well gentlemen and ladies, I don't take that luxury
lightly or for granted.  So here's to you Arnie, a toast to the Potentate of
Procrastinators, the Emperor of Excuses.  You my friend, make us all look
just a little bit better and I for one say thank you, oh Sultan of
Slackness!!!!

MR