[SEL] My 2 cents worth

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Sat Feb 20 07:50:19 PST 2010

Ed:

Recently, I updated my Magnet Tester page.  The version I built a few years ago uses a 78L05 three terminal voltage regulator to allow a stable supply voltage to the Hall circuit.  I also made a simple circuit to test the battery using the meter on the tester.  Any reading over half scale means the battery is still good.

I wouldn't suggest using a Zener diode as a shunt regulator because they are current hogs and are very temperature sensitive.

Thanks for the part number.  When I get a chance, I'll see if they're still available.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand