[SEL] Fairbanks Morse model 47 questions

David Myers walking_tractor at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 14:59:10 PST 2010

Hi guys,
After  a long absence I just had to come back to ask a few questions from the experts.  You see, I'm involved in restoring (more like un-mothballing) a couple of Fairbanks Morse model 47 diesels.  These are the big ones, 14"x18".  One is a single 75hp and right beside it is a double 150hp both direct coupled to alternators.  They are in their original positions in a powerhouse here in SW Michigan.  Our intent is to get them fully functional, powering various decorative lighting at a restored amusement park/museum.
We have found a wealth of information on everything except the engines and associated parts, thus the questions.
Does anyone have any knowledge on the 47's?  There are manuals and all sorts of information on the model 'Y's but I haven't found anything on the 47's.  In fact the only other one I have any knowledge of is at Coolspring Power Museum.  I sent an e-mail to them for help this weekend.
Most of the operation of the engine is straight forward but I need to know if the fuel transfer pump from the tank supplied any pressure to the injector pump or was it just flow?  If it was just flow then how was pressure supplied to the blowtorches for starting, and how much?  Was it just a couple of inches or 10lbs?   They seem to have been tied right into the fuel supply to the filter on the engine thus the confusion.
Will these run on #1 diesel or do I need kerosene?  The manual for the 'Y' that I have just mentions not using to heavy of fuel, I realize our terminology is much different than it was in the '30's.
Is there supposed to be a chimney around the 'glow plug'?  I can't see how it should have been as the plug is immediately below the injector.  It just seems there should be some sort of something to direct the heat away from the injector.
 I appreciate all your help and as soon as I am able I will send pictures.  The building is in a state of disarray but it to will be restored to it's art-deco splendor in the near future.
Thanks,
David Myers
Paw Paw, MI