[SEL] Just a bit early.....

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Wed Dec 22 14:56:31 PST 2010

Hi to all the members of these two great lists (actually 3 lists if you
include the bcc to "Slick"),

         It's a few days early but I need to send this out now as I will be
meeting Reg & Marg. in a few hours and assume that I will have my hands
full protecting our ladies from "you know who" and will possibly not have
time for e-mail once that happens.  :-)

         Every year I try to send out a mail to all the friends I've made
on these lists and it usually ends up as a "soppy, sentimental, I Love you
all" kinda mail.

         Well, I've thought long and hard about this years message and
guess what I've decided ?

         Damn, you guessed it again :-) , it's gonna be another one of
those mails !!!!!!

         Thank you all for your friendship, support, camaraderie and for
just darn well being there !

         I joined the lists in late 2004 (or thereabouts) (could I stop
calling myself a "newbie" now ?) and my life changed. I have derived so
much pleasure from being a member of your (our) fraternity.

         Yes, sometimes the posts do get a bit "tense" and yes, sometimes
they are "off topic" and yes, sometimes someone will post attachments that
cause a lot of stress to the "dial uppers" but eventually, what counts is
that we talk (write) to each other.

         Pretty much every "engine related" question I have ever posted
gets answered and often by members who are not active and I meet new friends.

         I, as a South African, have often needed help in obtaining parts
or help in getting parts. It has always amazed me as to how many of you
guys have offered that help - without ever having met me. I need you guys
to understand that I really appreciate your offers to help and really wish
that I can return your kindness and trust someday.

         In the above I've referred a lot to "guys" but we do have a few
active "gals" on the lists. The two that spring to mind are Helen (Dolly)
and Kelley. Thank you girls - I love you to bits and thanks for your posts
and friendship.

         Of course Marg also joins in whenever "him in the shed" allows her
near the computer :-).

         I have learnt that I can rely on "engine people" to do good. As a
case in point, my friend Neville Botha's recent flooding setback. I
suggested personal notes to him - you guys outdid yourselves. There were so
many messages sent to him. For 3 days I've delivered printouts to him and
each time Neville "beamed" - he was so impressed to get so many messages
from strangers. I swear that your messages made it all worthwhile for him.
Thank you all so much.

         What also impressed him tremendously was the number of letters
actually mentioning the great collection that he has built up - mention of
individual engines (and condition) he has and suchlike made your letters so
much more credible than a simple "Get well Soon"  message. Thanks again.

         O.K. Guys and Gals - it's late and I must get my "Beauty Sleep" -
have a great CHRISTmas and a prosperous 2011. Forget about those who feel
the need to be P.C. - it's CHRISTmas.

  I look forward to corresponding with you all in 2011.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>