[SEL] A message to the Greatest People in the world !!

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Mon Dec 20 11:27:33 PST 2010

Hi to all my Friends on these lists,

         I want to thank you all for all the "Off List" messages that you
sent to my friend Neville Botha on the occasion of his property being
flooded. You have only served to reinforce the opinion that I have so often
expressed and that is "Enginemen (and women) are the greatest people".

         Thank you, my friends, (and it is an honour to be able to call you
"friends"). Allow me to explain!

         Neville is an "older gent" , he does not understand computers and
the Internet - he only remembers the times that, if you wanted info on an
engine it would take months (or even years) to get all that info via "snail
mail".

         He cannot believe that so many people have written messages to him
within so short a time of his misfortune. (That's all you guys).

         Neville has been collecting engines (and any other "vintage
stuff") since his "teens" - long before many of us  (or the Internet) were
born. It's a passion with him as I've mentioned previously. (O.K. Maybe he
is not as old as Dave :-))

         Guys, I'd really like to describe to you all the look of surprise
and joy on Neville's face when I presented him with a printout of all your
messages but it was beyond description. I swear that it made him feel 10
years younger! His face beamed - he could not believe that so many
"strangers" (although I've mentioned most of you over the years) could have
written to him.

         So, once again, I say "Thank you very much" to my friends. You
made an "older gent" very happy in this time of distress.

         I spent the whole day (today) at Neville's place - just trying to
help out - I drained the oil (water included) from most of his
"smaller/less illustrious engines and generally "did what I could". I will
be back there tomorrow and with a bit of luck his showroom should be clean
by tomorrow night.

         On Thursday I've scheduled to collect Reg and take him to meet
Neville - Neville has already guaranteed that his big Ruston will run !

         Guys (and your Gals) thank you once again for being the "Greatest
People In The World" - You have made an Old Mans setbacks that much easier
for him to bear.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>