[SEL] SEL Digest, Vol 81, Issue 12

Patrick Livingstone patrick.livingstone at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 02:28:27 PST 2010

Things are not as bad at rallies here as Reg's rosy picture seems to
portray. Most rallies are very enjoyable with no trouble from officials or
safety officers. Frequently the only trouble is if you go looking for it.
Unfortunately some rallies have slightly over-zealous safety officers or
officials. If they get too over the top the exhibitors simply don't come
next time and the show has a unlamented demise.
I personally find the Nationals are too over-regulated and most of the fun
has gone from them, perhaps that is the nature of big events. The small and
smaller big rallies are still pretty good fun.
If I believed all I read on the list (and other forums) I would think that
most US shows consisted of rows of motorhomes with the odd maytag sitting in
front of them and I would be in danger of being run of by but-buggies driven
by kids who are too lazy to walk. Of course this may be true but I don't
think so. The spectre of of the evil national body is not as bad as it may
appear through the looking glass of the list.
Patrick