[SEL] Trailer Brakes - Question

Listerdiesel listerdiesel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 01:32:07 PST 2010

On 6 December 2010 05:54, Steve Sewell <sewell at ohio.edu> wrote:

> Peter: A good idea as Lucas Electric is made over there. Could you use them
> if I sent you brakes and a controller?? I would never pull a trailer
> without electric or air (big truck) brakes.
>
> _steve

Hi Steve:

Nothing wrong with Lucas kit, as long as you buy the right parts. Most
of their bad reputation came from components made for the mass market
car manufacturers who wouldn't pay for a decent product. The Italians
and French also had the same problems.

Rolls-Royce used Lucas almost exclusively and had very little trouble,
but they paid the right price for what they wanted.

Thanks for the offer on the brakes, but as I said in the first post,
we are introducing annual testing for trailers, and while it is not
likely to look at type-tested components, I don't want to take the
chance of having problems.

The Australian disc electric brakes look good, but again we cannot use them.

Air is an option on trailers below 3.5 tons and compulsory over 3.5
tons. I did look fleetingly at that, but the additional hassle of a
compressor and air tanks and proportional sensing/control valves made
it look a little awkward to implement, although with the standard
brakes it would be fairly easily hooked up, especially with a small
spring brake for parking.

Peter
--
Peter A Forbes