[SEL] Otto Slide Valve Engine Video

Elden edurand at mchsi.com
Mon Aug 30 11:11:58 PDT 2010

Peter:

Thanks so much for the detailed video of the Otto!  I really like
the oilers as well as hearing the ignition flame as it
transfers(?) to the ignition port.

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths inventors went to in
order to ignite the fuel charge.

Lenoir in the early 1860's used high tension jump-spark ignition,
decades before it was taken up by others.  His ignition system
had it's oddities, too.  The Rumkhoff (sp?) trembler coil ran all
the time and spark was timed in the high tension circuit via a
distributor of sorts.

Flame, hot tube, ignitor then back to the high tension spark
plug.  Surprising to me, ignitors lasted well into the 1920's in
stationary engines.

There ain't nuthin' new under the sun!

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand