[SEL] It's quiet!/Shingle Mill

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Wed Aug 25 14:38:41 PDT 2010

Jerry, I am using ponderosa "Blue" Pine only to demonstrate.  They would have used sawed dimentional lumber without the bark.  Shingles are usually 16 inches long and in this neck of the woods would have been cedar or redwood as they contain their own oil and last forever.  Not used too much anymore as they do turn an ugly color and fire insurance would kill us.  As far as the thickness, ours has #8 sprockets and there were others available for different thicknesses.  As Tom mentioned you could see the sun thru the roof, but it never leaked.

  Today you would have to go or have a sawmill that would cut the proper lumber...and we did just that at the Barnes' Steam and power show.  A buzz saw was used to cut it to proper 16 inch lengths.

Take care,
Rick