[SEL] Lots of fun at Buckley

Alan rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 23 13:42:42 PDT 2010

Yup, When I get a chance to play with my engines that one will be first.
I forget which great SEL member bought a box of hand tachs cheap then offered them to the list folks that contacted him.

Thanks to him I had one to measure the RPM when I first put that spring in the govener.
It was running at 500 RPM.
Seemed slow at the show so I measured it again Wednesday.
400/375
Saturday afternoon as I was finishing the 4200 pounds of corn the sheller was slower so I got the tach out again.
350/300
But,,, The corn was done.
I shut the engine down then spun the sheller's flywheel.
It was running just as nice as always on those 1890s roller bearings.
I went back to the engine and spun the flywheels bouncing the piston against compression several times. No drag there either.

When I first fired that engine up the original spring was so stiff the whole engine jumped about an inch off the ground every time it hit.
It was a raging beast.
I don't even want to know how fast it was turning.
I could only compress that spring about an eighth of an inch.
I had one the same size in my spring bag made from thin wire that I could compress all the way 150 times a minute.
That is what I put in the govenor then tached the engine and found 500 RPM.

Alan in Michigan