[SEL] Lots of fun at Buckley

Alan rustaholic777 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 18:41:02 PDT 2010

Howdy Folks,

I had a blast at the Buckley show.
I just had my 1928, H&M,  1 3/4 HP Hercules S there running my 1890s built 2-hole Mountville Hero corn sheller.

I invited Rick Gilder from Smokstak to set up under my canopy with his 1890s built 2-hole Henge & Dromgold corn sheller powered by his 1918 TG FBM 1 1/2 HP engine.

Two very old shellers that look so alike but are so different running there together was very cool.

Between the two of us we shelled 4200 pounds of corn in three days.

I did have something strange going on with my Hercules though.

Back when I first fired up the 1 3/4 HP Hercules that I had at the show it was barn fresh and it was running very aggressively. I then changed the governor spring and I checked the RPM and it was running at 500 RPM but in a much calmer manner.
This was around ten years ago.

When I first checked at the show this week it was running at 400 RPM
By Saturday late afternoon I noticed the engine had slowed down.
Instead of 400 when it hit then slowing to 375 before it hit again I found it was now peaking at 350 when it hit and slowing to 300 before it hit again.

It is my belief that the spring I put in the governor is breaking up.
What do you figure is going on?
The engine and sheller are both turning very easy so it is not resistance slowing it down.
I would like to hear some ideas before I tear it apart.

Alan in Michigan