[SEL] Linseed oil question.

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Thu Aug 19 02:23:26 PDT 2010

Sorry to break it to you, but it looks great!

The oil brings out the details that would be hidden by either the original
rust or paint.

Dave Merchant

At 04:14 PM 8/18/2010, you wrote:
>Hi all you Great Guys and Gals's in "Engine Land",
>
>          It's been a very busy time for me these last few months "business
>wise" (thank goodness) and engines have had to take a back seat but I've
>managed to catch up and have been able to spend a little time on the
>important things in life (Old Engines) just recently.
>
>          You may recall that I acquired a 6 H.P. 1928 Wolseley Type "R" a
>good number of years back and got it running with a set of Lister flywheels
>(it's original flywheels had disappeared to the "scrappie" many years
>previously.)
>
>          Well, this magnificent piece of "Old Iron" has been to quite a few
>shows/rallies and always acquitted himself well in that time but I never
>got around to actually "completing his restoration".
>
>          One of the reasons for this is that I have never been able to make
>up my mind as to wether I wanted to slick him up and paint him as I have
>done with all of my other (less illustrious) engines. I really wanted to
>show him in his "working clothes".
>
>          Well, I think I have maybe "screwed up" a bit.
>
>          I polished him with stove polish and applied Linseed oil  AND  I'm
>NOT VERY HAPPY with the result.
>
>See <http://www.oldengine.org/members/evans/WolseleyR/index.htm> and page
>down to very near the bottom of the page for the Update dated  "18th August
>2010"
>
>All for now - I look forward to your comments an suggestions.
>

>Update 18th August 2010.
>
>Keep the revs up (or down)
>Jerry Evans
>Near Johannesburg in Sunny South Africa.
>Etched Brass Engine Plates made to order:
><www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>

Dave Merchant
kosh at nesys.com
nesys_com at ameritech.net
dmerchant at layerzero.com

http://www.nesys.com
http://www.nesys.org
YouTube: SteamCrane

"I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps
to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards)
and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."
         - Prof. Phil Jones
         - Director, Climatic Research Unit
         - School of Environmental Sciences
         - University of East Anglia