[SEL] SEL Digest, Vol 77, Issue 13

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Tue Aug 17 09:56:29 PDT 2010

At 06:00 PM 17/08/2010, you wrote:
>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:37:11 -0400
>From: "Elden" <edurand at mchsi.com>
>Subject: Re: [SEL] New webpage added.
><snip>
>
>Nice collection, Jerry!
>
>I didn't know that some of the big Ruston & Hornsby flywheel
>Diesels were made as late as 1965,
>
>BTW, I recently saw an engine based on that design that is only
>about five years old, made in Pakistan!  I know nothing else
>about it.
>
>Take care - Elden
>http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand

Hi Elden,
         Yes, they were made quite recently but still beautiful machines.
The one in question was a "College Engine" - supplied to a local "Technical
College" to teach "appies" all about how diesel engines work. As with the
Ruston recently restored by Peter Forbes it also has all sorts of "extra's"
that Neville is trying to get hold of. (Do not ask me what they are but
they draw graphs and suchlike to show H.P., torque, R.P.M's. etc. under
different running conditions). I just enjoy them running :-)

         The engine had hardly done any work when he got it (complete) -
just demo stuff for students - maybe had a few nuts loosened here and there
and re tightened. Then the "guvmunt" decided it was obsolete and it ended
up with Neville. Great deal for a collector. The vertical steam engine on
the same page came from the same source and at the same time.

         Not too sure about Pakistan but I do know that the big Rustons
were made in India (under the Ruston name) until quite recently. I'm sure
that Peter Forbes could supply more info there.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>