[SEL] Guess what is showing up at Portland...

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Sat Aug 14 09:26:31 PDT 2010

On Aug 13, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Spencer Yost wrote:
> But the 25 HP Ball oilfield engine will finally be at Portland this
> year.

Wow, Spencer.  That's exciting.  I wish Kelley and I were going to be
there to see her debut.

>  Check out the pictures of the trailer and skids here:
> http://www.atis.net/forums/album.php?albumid=29

Nice!

> The engine is not running and this year I am planning on spending the
> week at Portland getting it in running condition

Fun idea.

> Any thoughts and comments on the trailer loading and mounting would be
> much appreciated!

The feng shui is maximized when the engine is on the ground.

Getting the engine on the ground is serious business that is best
considered before you begin.  I would use 2" pipes for rollers, and
plenty of 'em.  Trailer ramps must be stout.

If you can unload onto asphalt, you're golden.  If you're going to set
up on dirt, especially in the Portland Mud Bog, bring 2x10s onto which
you can roll the engine.  Pipes generally don't roll well over dry dirt.

In and out is controlled with a winch mounted at the front of your
trailer.  You can use a come-a-long, but that gets old.  Use a GOOD
come-a-long.  Two can be nice to have.

Up and down is controlled with a mechanical toe jack.  Two can be nice
to have.  I build skids with the toe jack in mind.  I've seen original
skids such as yours that have a cross member near each end, off the
ground a ways.  Those are nice places to lift from.

A 5' or 6' pry bar is also handy.  An assortment of short blocks is
also handy.

It would be nice to have someone experienced in moving heavy stuff
show you their method for your first time.  Whatever you do, use only
one or two trustworthy helpers-NO MORE.  You don't need a bunch of
"experts" buzzing around and turning a serious project into a
dangerous project.

Hints:

There will be two points that might come as a surprise.

One, is when the center of gravity rolls over the apex of the trailer/
ramps.  The engine will begin to tip from level to a nose-down
attitude.  At this point, you'll want one roller near the apex, and
the engine can pivot on that roller.  That's why you need a straight
pull on your winch, to keep it from turning all cattywampus.  Go slow,
keep it under control.

The second surprise is when the engine reaches the bottom of the ramps
and digs right into the ground.  If you've placed your rollers
properly, you might avoid this.  Otherwise, just jack it up a little
and stick another roller under there.  Be careful, as you're now
beneath the load.  Go slow, keep it under control.

Principles:

With 2" pipes, you're never more than 2.5" off the ground.  The higher
off the ground you are, the more precarious you become.  Keep it low.

For your first time, keep four pipes under the engine.  It adds
stability.

Prime directive:

Captain Kirk had a Prime Directive.  You have two:

1.  Don't hurt anyone.
2.  Don't hurt your engine.

Have fun with your new toy.  I'm looking forward to the pictures and
the video of her running.

Rob