[SEL] Non-detergent Oil--The Rest Of The Story

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Tue Aug 10 17:41:09 PDT 2010

On Aug 10, 2010, at 9:22 AM, David Rotigel wrote:

> Two drops per minute per HP was the general recomendation. That, of
> course, is if the engine is working. I, typically, set the Galloway
> for around 4 to 5 drops per minute.
> 	Dave

Hey, Dave.

I used to know this very smart bloke.  John was his name.  He knew
more about oil than I'll ever know.
You could drive around with him and he would be able to tell you the
geological features below ground, if there was oil present, and at
what depth.  Sadly, John never saw his 21st birthday.

Anyway, one early morning, I was wandering about the showgrounds, and
John was tinkering with his engine.  He called me over and told me how
he liked to use way oil on all his engines.  He had me wipe some oil
onto my finger from the running engine.  I did, and he explained that
the milkiness was from condensation, but that it would go away as soon
as the engine warmed up.  He had me feel the stickiness of the oil,
and noted how it was unlike modern motor oil, which didn't seem to
stick to exposed metal surfaces.

John was almost reverent in his observation of the oil.  The man truly
loved petroleum, it was in his veins.

Since that day, I began using way oil on the engines.  I usually have
plenty on hand for the machine tools, so it's not inconvenient to
use.  Perhaps it's more expensive than Brand X Motor Oil, but the way
oil makes me happy, and sometimes when I use it, I think of my friend,
John.

Rob