[SEL] Non-detergent Oil--The Rest Of The Story

Larry Evans lfevans at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 10 15:36:38 PDT 2010

About then (10 or so years ago) I got into a discussion with John Culp (who
seems to be well versed regarding petrochemistry) about this issue.  His
feeling was, as I recall, that the early oil was far different from today's
non-detergent oil in that it contained natural products that acted in some
respect as detergents.  With today's refining technology non-detergent oil
is not the same product as "pre-detergent" oil.

Larry Evans

At 06:33 AM 8/10/2010, you wrote:
>About ten years ago the list nearly went to war about
>weather non detergent or detergent oil should be used in
>old engines.  Some holding that the engines were designed
>for use with non detergent oil, others stating that it was
>foolish to use old fashioned oil and engine life would be
>prolonged with detergent oil.  I see that opinions have not
>changed much.
>
>Jim
>
>Jim and Diane Kirkes
>jd.kirkes at verizon.net