[SEL] Non-detergent Oil--The Rest Of The Story

Elden edurand at mchsi.com
Tue Aug 10 05:21:33 PDT 2010

Rick & Dave:

Methink that in the days these engines were working for a living,
they probably ran hotter and with leaner mixtures than now, when
they are retired.

Also, back then, I kinda think that they were torn down
periodically to remove carbon and other clag left by the
non-detergent oils of the time.

Nowadays, running rich and cool and without the benefit of
detergent additives, carbon is likely to build-up in ring
grooves, causing ring binding.

I could be wrong here (and probably am) but that's my opinion,
worth exactly what you paid for it.    :-)

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand