[SEL] Non-detergent Oil

David Rotigel rotigel at me.com
Sun Aug 8 18:59:44 PDT 2010

Hi All,
	I had an interesting experience with the 16 HP Galloway at Findlay
this weekend. I typically get 32-60+ revs between each "hit" on the
engine--30's when I start it and 60+ on real hot days after it warms
up. It ran at about 40-42 0n Thursday and the same on Friday (perhaps
only 34 in the early afternoon.) Then about 2:30 it slowed to only
about 20 revs between hits, and as Arnie and I watched (and listened)
to 14-16. I shut it down and began checking things out. First I
checked out the temperature of the rod and main bearing caps--95
degrees which is about normal. Next Arnie and I turned the engine over
by hand. Clearly something was "binding" somewhere!
	We then removed the rod cap and examines the journal and the brasses.
Everything was normal. Next with the rod disconnected we turned the
flywheels over and it was smooth as silk with no tightness noted. So
we reconnected the rod and rolled it over. Tightness noted, Must be
something with the piston? Arnie suggested that the cylinder/piston
might be all gummed up and that perhaps some gasoline poured down the
oiler hole might free things up. So while Arnie turned the flywheels I
poured about a 1/4 pint of gasoline down the oiler hole. THE ENGINE
loosed up almost immediately! We started the Galloway and the first
time over it made 32 revs before it hit! PROBLEM SOLVED!
	Two minutes later it was down to 16 revs and after several cycles I
shut the Galloway down and Arnie and I had another beer on which to
think! It took a while, but after some time I said "You know Arnie the
only thing I changed (about two years ago) is to go to non detergent
oil because you pointed out that after a rain it left no white
residue" Arnie replied, "That's for an engine 'wipe down', not in the
oilers!" OPPS! I did not run the engine at all on Saturday!
	Today after I got home I took the piston out and now have it soaking
in the parts cleaner--the rings are loose. I also removed the ignitor
and gunked the cylinder well. Tomorrow I'll do that again. I'll then
wipe down the piston and cylinder and reinstall the piston and replace
the oil in the oiler. Baraboo and Portland will "tell the tail!"
	Dave