[SEL] Modern Briggs & Stratton engine question,

Jerry Evans jerrye at databak.co.za
Sat Apr 24 09:54:22 PDT 2010

Hi All,
         A friend recently bought a used (but in excellent condition)
ride-on mower with a 12 HP Briggs & Stratton I/C engine (vertical shaft).
It is approximately 10 to 12 years old and has not been used very much.

         The Model numbers etc. from the engine (for those who know) are:
291707 400302 91011531.

         I have often downloaded manuals from the Briggs site without any
problem but these numbers just seem to draw a blank ! Does anyone have a
manual or a link to one?

         What happens is that the engine starts easily and runs well but if
it is  stopped or stalls it is very difficult to start afterwards. A few
hours later, when cold, it will start easily again.

         Can anyone please give me any "pointers" as to where to start
looking for the problem?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Keep the revs up (or down)
Jerry Evans
<www.oldengine.org/members/evans/plates/index.htm>