[SEL] Babbittrite

jbcast at charter.net jbcast at charter.net
Fri Sep 25 19:29:00 PDT 2009

---- Richard Strobel <Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com> wrote:
> Gang, what am I doing wrong?  I dam both end of a 7" lower main bearing, get
> it hot and the first thing to pull away from the seal is the babbittrite.
> Using a blowtorch, not a Rosebud.  I've had better results with Play-dough
> and Plumbers putty.
>
> TIA,
> RickinMt.

Rick, had the same problem myself. It helps if you can wrap it around the shaft and stick it to itself, pile it on in a heavy mound. I like to use RTV sealer, it's messy to get off, but it won't leak. You don't have to wait for it to cure, just let it tack up a little bit.
J.B. Castagnos
Belle Rose, LA