[SEL] Radiator cleaning question.

Elden DuRand edurand at mchsi.com
Fri Sep 18 07:23:07 PDT 2009

Bill & Jerry:

I was about to suggest the oven cleaner.  It contains sodium hydroxide that will remove paint if concentrated enough.  Sodium Hydroxide (commonly known as "lye") is also the chemical that engine rebuilders use to dip engine parts in to clean them.  It removes the paint, grease and rust.

One thing though.  If you use either the oven cleaner (not very strong) or the lye (VERY strong and will eat the skin off of you!), be sure to thoroughly rinse the articles afterward then paint or oil all steel surfaces immediately.  Steel will rust very quickly after a lye bath.

Mild acid will remove lime or scale from the inside of the radiator but will not do much to paint or grease.

Good luck and be careful!

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand