[SEL] Fairbanks Morse Dishpan Engine

paulmaples at sbcglobal.net paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 17 19:50:35 PDT 2009

Come on guys I cannot believe that I put out a request for help a few days ago in regards to this dishpan engine and did not get a single response from my engine gang, maybe the message did not go out to everyone so I am going to repeat it.

A gentleman contacted me via e-mail, he is a local as he used a local forum, but I have no idea who he is. He told me he had FM Dishpan engine that ran fine about three months ago but now it will now run. He wanted to know if I had any idea of what the problem might be.

I had him check a few things and from his responses it is getting gas but is not firing. He tells me it has a Model-T buzz coil and battery ignition.

I had him make sure his battery was hot, to check all of his wiring and connections and to check the points on the buzz coil to see if they needed cleaning.

I had not heard back him for a couple of days but today he sent me another message saying that he had checked all of the wiring, checked his battery and it was hot and he had gently filed his points on the buzz coil.

Does anyone have any other ideas I can share with this man to try and help him get it started?

Paul