[SEL] Slightly O.T.: Update on Mt. Wilson

Rob Skinner rob at rustyiron.com
Wed Sep 16 21:42:28 PDT 2009

Hi, Larry.

We're all very lucky that the observatory came through relatively
unscathed.  I'm sure there will be a lot of cleanup, though.

The satellite infrared images look like complete devastation in the
area affected by the fire.  Some visible spectrum photographs, though,
clearly show that big trees in some of the canyons have been spared.

If it's any consolation, it was not even a year ago that we were
lamenting the loss of the Chino wilderness.  It seemed like it would
be many years before normalcy was restored.  But if you visit there
now, you would hardly know that there was ever a fire.

These pictures were taken earlier this year several miles n/e of Mt.
Wilson.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=102977&id=693104413&l=831961878f
  To me, this area was the crown jewel of the San Gabes.  It's very sad.

Rob Skinner
Antique Stationary Engines
La Habra, California

rob at rustyiron.com