[SEL] O/T Briggs and stratton help needed

paulmaples at sbcglobal.net paulmaples at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 13 13:59:30 PDT 2009

Hello Steve,

Tom is correct. I had a 14 HP Kawasaki engine on my John Deere Lawn tractor
and after I first started it I could drive it about 200 to 300 feet and it
would die. However, if I let it set for about 15 - 20 minutes it would start
right up and RUN THE REST OF THE DAY AND NEVER DIE AGAIN. I was able to
quickly isolate the problem as being no fire and then after spending $100 on
an electronics board that the dealership told me was the problem and it was
not, as well as the board was non-returnable, I decided to troubleshoot the
thing myself with the help of some guys on the Lawn & Garden Tractor list.

My problem was really the igniter which on my model was integral with the
coil, on my model the igniter and coil was all the same. On the earlier
models of my engine the igniter was separate from the coil and would have
only cost me $35.00 but since mine was integral and all one piece it cost me
$116.00. So in order to replace the bad igniter I had to replace the
coil/igniter assembly.

I would have just suspected the coil IF it had done what you say yours is
doing and that is run until it gets hot, quits, cools off, then runs until
it gets hot and quits again. My engine would only stop after running about
200 to 300 feet, let it cool off and it would start and run fine the rest of
the day, it never would die again. So I think your problem is no doubt the
coil.

Paul